‘Brilliant teacher and a lovely person’ – Katrina, student
I AM NOW TEACHING ONLINE LESSONS VIA ZOOM OR SKYPE DUE TO COVID-19.
I have a strong passion for instrumental teaching. I enjoy sharing the joy of music with my students and seeing them develop both musically and personally. I hold a DipABRSM Teaching Diploma with Distinction.
What do I teach? I teach Scottish traditional fiddle and classical violin.
Who do I teach? I teach both children and adults of all abilities and experiences.
Where do I teach? I am usually based in Glasgow, but I am now teaching exclusively online lessons via Zoom or Skype due to COVID-19.
What do I charge? First lesson free. Then £25 for 30 mins; £30 for 45 mins; £35 for 1 hour. These prices reflect the fact that I hold a DipABRSM Teaching Diploma with Distinction and are in line with Musicians’ Union recommendations.
What is my teaching methodology? I tailor each lesson to suit the needs of each individual student. My teaching method is influenced by my personal experience of learning through the Suzuki method, my experience of the positive impact that music has on our mental wellbeing, and the teaching methodologies that I learned for my DipABRSM Teaching Diploma. I value praise, fun and hard work. Music is an enjoyable activity!
What is my teaching experience?
- I currently teach 5 students in Glasgow.
- I achieved a DipABRSM Teaching Diploma with Distinction (90%) in July 2018.
- I taught 20 private students in Edinburgh between November 2017 and August 2018. My students thoroughly enjoyed their lessons and improved quickly.
- I was Assistant Teacher at Edinburgh Youth Gaitherin for 9-18 year olds in April 2016.
- I was Volunteer Music Teacher at Tender Talents Magnet School in August-September 2014, a music school for vulnerable children in Kasangati, Uganda. I taught violin and music theory, led choir rehearsals, and founded and conducted Tender Talents Symphony Orchestra. I taught 31 students aged 7-18. By the end of my time there, my students were visibly happier and more confident, both in their musical abilities and in their personal lives.
- I was Assistant Teacher at a Suzuki violin group class for 4-16 year olds in March-October 2012.
What are my qualifications? DipABRSM Teaching Diploma (Distinction), BA Music (First Class), DipABRSM Violin, Grade 8 Piano (Distinction), AMusTCL Theory and Composition, Grade 8 Theory (Merit), Advanced Higher Music (A), Higher Music (A), Intermediate 2 Music (A). I’m currently studying a 2-year MMus Scottish Music degree at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland.
Please get in touch if you are interested in fiddle or violin lessons with Isla.