‘Brilliant teacher and a lovely person’ – Katrina, student
Isla teaches classical violin and Scottish traditional fiddle at her home in Edinburgh. She teaches children of all ages and experiences. She teaches classical violin through the Suzuki Method, and Scottish traditional fiddle in a way that is heavily influenced by the Suzuki Method. She tailors each lesson to suit the needs of each individual child. She values praise, fun and hard work. Music is an enjoyable activity! Isla is a qualified Suzuki violin teacher (Level 2) and holds a DipABRSM Teaching Diploma with Distinction.
More information about Isla’s teaching practice using the Suzuki Method is here.
Isla’s teaching experience
- I currently teach 8 private pupils in Edinburgh.
- I teach a weekly online fiddle class for adults at the Scots Music Group.
- I work as an Upper Strings Instructor for the City of Edinburgh Council Instrumental Music Service. I teach 85 pupils at 3 primary schools and 2 secondary schools.
- In November 2020 – October 2021, I taught 100 pupils at 5 primary schools and 1 secondary school in Dundee as a Strings Instructor with the Dundee City Council Instrumental Music Service.
- In September 2018 – March 2020, I taught 7 private pupils in Glasgow.
- In November 2017 – August 2018, I taught 20 private pupils in Edinburgh.
- In August-September 2014, I was a Volunteer Music Teacher at Tender Talents Magnet School, a music school for vulnerable children in Kasangati, Uganda. I taught violin and music theory, led choir rehearsals, and founded and conducted Tender Talents Symphony Orchestra. I taught 31 pupils aged 7-18.
Suzuki Violin Teacher Training Level 2; DipABRSM Teaching Diploma (Distinction); MMus Scottish Music; BA Music (First Class); DipABRSM Violin; Grade 8 Piano (Distinction); AMusTCL Theory and Composition; Grade 8 Theory (Merit); Advanced Higher Music (A); Higher Music (A); Intermediate 2 Music (A)
Please get in touch if you are interested in violin or fiddle lessons with Isla.