‘Brilliant teacher and a lovely person’ – Katrina, student
I have a strong passion for instrumental teaching. I enjoy sharing the joy of music with my students and seeing them develop both musically and personally. I hold a DipABRSM Teaching Diploma with Distinction.
What do I teach? I teach classical violin through the Suzuki Method and Scottish traditional fiddle.
Who do I teach? I teach children of all ages and experiences.
Where do I teach? I live in Edinburgh. I teach in person and online.
What is my teaching methodology? I teach classical violin through the Suzuki Method, and I teach Scottish traditional fiddle in a way that is heavily influenced by the Suzuki Method. I tailor each lesson to suit the needs of each individual student. I value praise, fun and hard work. Music is an enjoyable activity!
What is my teaching experience?
- I currently teach 8 private pupils.
- I currently teach an online group adult fiddle class at the Scots Music Group.
- I currently work as a Strings Instructor for City of Edinburgh Council Instrumental Music Service. I teach 85 students at 4 primary schools and 2 secondary schools.
- I achieved a DipABRSM Teaching Diploma with Distinction (90%) in July 2018.
- I taught 100 pupils at 5 primary schools and 1 secondary school in Dundee between November 2020 and October 2021.
- I taught 7 private students in Glasgow between September 2018 and March 2020.
- I taught 20 private students in Edinburgh between November 2017 and August 2018.
- I was Assistant Teacher at Edinburgh Youth Gaitherin for 9-18 year olds in April 2016.
- I was Volunteer Music Teacher at Tender Talents Magnet School in August-September 2014, a music school for vulnerable children in Kasangati, Uganda. I taught violin and music theory, led choir rehearsals, and founded and conducted Tender Talents Symphony Orchestra. I taught 31 students aged 7-18. By the end of my time there, my students were visibly happier and more confident, both in their musical abilities and in their personal lives.
- I was Assistant Teacher at a Suzuki violin group class for 4-16 year olds in March-October 2012.
What are my qualifications? Suzuki Violin Teacher Training Level 1, DipABRSM Teaching Diploma (Distinction), MMus Scottish Music, BA Music (First Class), DipABRSM Violin, Grade 8 Piano (Distinction), AMusTCL Theory and Composition, Grade 8 Theory (Merit), Advanced Higher Music (A), Higher Music (A), Intermediate 2 Music (A).
Please get in touch if you are interested in fiddle or violin lessons with Isla.